Businesses can solve this issue by selectively disabling mobile data and/or Wi-Fi capabilities for specific applications. You can achieve this using SureLock, a mobile lockdown solution from 42Gears.
Steps to block Wi-Fi or Mobile Data for specific apps
1. Launch SureLock on the mobile device.
2. Go to SureLock Admin Settings by tapping 5 times on the SureLock Home Screen, and entering the admin passcode.
3. Tap SureLock Settings.
4. Tap Disable Wi-Fi or Mobile Data Access.
5. In the Data Access Setting screen, all the apps will be checked by default. Uncheck under Wi-Fi column if you want to disable wifi for any specific app. Or uncheck under Mobile data column if you want to disable mobile data access for any specific app.
6. Tap OK on the VPN connection request prompt to enable VPN connection.
7. Click Done to complete. Access to Mobile data and/or Wi-Fi will be blocked for the selected application.
Note: This feature works on Android Lollipop (5.0) and above.
Once these settings are configured on one device, they can be deployed to multiple other devices easily through SureLock cloud import system, file transfer or download URL.
Businesses can have total management over the devices in their network using SureMDM. Through the centralized SureMDM web console, admins can quantify and manage the amount of data being consumed by each app. To learn more about SureMDM’s data-usage and app management features click here.