The relay server will act as a local intermediate server that can cache files while downloading from the cloud and save them locally and these files can be accessed on the relay server using a local LAN. Once the relay server is configured, devices in the local network will no longer need to download files from the cloud.
Steps to get this arrangement working are
- Relay servers need to be set up at a site
- Push a relay server access configuration to all devices on that site.
In case the deployment involves a large number of sites and relay servers, it becomes impractical to create and manage hundreds of relay server config jobs and push them to respective site devices.
We can solve the above challenges by creating custom properties for relay server configuration and using them in a single job as wildcards. The same job can be distributed across hundreds of groups with hundreds of devices in each group
A. Steps to configure Custom Properties in SureMDM
- Login to SureMDM Web Console
- Navigate to Account Settings and click on Custom Properties and navigate to Properties
- Click on Add. This will open an Add Custom Properties prompt. Enter the Key and Data Type values and click on OK. Once done, the Key and Data Type will be listed in the Properties table.
4. Further, go back to SureMDM Home Screen and click on any device group.
5. Goto the device group Properties section and navigate to Custom Properties Tab
6. Click on Import and import the .csv file with the Key, Data Type, and Value.
7. Once the import is successful, the values will be shown in the properties table.
Further, the user will need to create a Relay server job to complete the configuration.
B. Steps to create Relay Server job using wildcards
- Go to SureMDM Home Screen and click on Jobs
- Click New Job and select Android
- Click Relay Server Configuration
- Enter the values to the parameters in the job as follows :
- Relay URL: $relay_server_ipaddress$
- Relay User Name: $username$
- Relay Password: $Password1$
- Name the Relay Server Job and Save
- Go to Home, Select the required Group(s) and apply the job created in Step. 5
Because we used wildcards in the job above, SureMDM will auto replace the wildcard with values from each group before pushing it to devices. The result will be each device will automatically get access configuration for their site Relay server. This vastly reduces the complexity for MDM admin and avoids unnecessary manual errors.