Apple’s Classroom App is a key part of Apple’s toolkit for managing Apple devices in schools, alongside the Apple School Manager and Shared iPad programs. It can be used to lockdown iPads in classrooms so students do not get distracted while studying.
Apple Classroom App
- iOS 10.3.2 or later
- iPadOS 13 or later
- 4th generation iPads or later
- iPad Mini 2 or later
- All iPads must be Bluetooth-enabled
- All iPads must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network
- Students devices must be supervised
Steps to install and configure Classroom app
1. Install the Classroom App
Install the free Apple Classroom app on the teacher’s iPad.
2. Create and name the class
Launch the app, tap Create new class, and give your class a name. You can create multiple classes.
3. Check Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Settings
Make sure that all iPads are Bluetooth-enabled and connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
4. Add students
Tap on the class(es) you created, and then tap Add Students.
5. Prepare student devices to join
Ask your students to open the Settings app and look for the Classroom menu option.
6. Ask students to select the class name
Once students have selected the Classroom menu, tell them to look for the name of your class.
7. Share the code with students
Once students have selected the name of your class, give them the 4-digit code that is displayed on the teacher device.
8. Watch student names appear on-screen
After this, students will be added to your class and you will be able to see their name listed on the screen.
With the Classroom app installed on the teacher device, teachers can:
- Open apps on student devices
- Restrict access to certain apps on a particular device
- Open websites on student devices
- Lock all student iPads (“Eyes on teacher mode”)
- Mute all student iPads
- Get a live preview of all student screens at once, and tap on any student device to view it as a full screen
- Create student groups for projects
If students are sharing iPads, teachers can assign multiple students unique login credentials to access the same device. Students can just tap on the image on the iPad screen, enter their login credentials, and access the device to see their assignments and homework. In this case, the iPad will be the same but, the apps might be different depending on the specific need of students and as assigned by the teacher.
Configuring the Classroom app through an MDM solution
You can manually set up devices using the Classroom app as described above, but a more efficient method is to use a mobile device management (MDM) solution. This lets IT admins configure iPads with class rosters, automatically completing the setup process outlined above and configuring chosen settings and restrictions.
Using an MDM solution, IT admins can:
- Create teacher and student profiles
- Create classes and add students on a teacher’s behalf
- Push apps that students are allowed to use in class
- Enable teachers to fully control student devices
From the teacher’s perspective, the appropriate roster and settings immediately appear once teachers open the Classroom app on their device.
Configuring the Classroom app through an MDM solution and Apple School Manager
Users can set up Apple Classroom by syncing an MDM solution with Apple School Manager (ASM). ASM combines Apple’s Device Enrollment Program and Volume Purchase Program (for apps and content), and the ability to create Managed Apple IDs on student-owned devices.
Steps to configure ASM
1. Configure the users and classes
Configure the users and classes on ASM, and set the users as teachers and students.
2. Sync the owner
Sync the owners in System Manager, allows system manager to see all users on ASM.
3. Assigning each iPad
Set the owner for each iPad.
4. Profile creation and installation
Create the desired combination of settings and policies (known as an “education profile”) and install the profile on each iPad.
5. Launching Apple Classroom
Launch the Apple Classroom app on the teacher iPad, and the teacher will be able to control and monitor the student iPads.
42Gears offers SureMDM, a mobile device solution that is easy-to-use and affordable, which makes it a great fit to pair with ASM.
Learn more about SureMDM for iOS here to deploy the Apple Classroom app on iPads so you too can lockdown iPads in classrooms.