Geofencing lets administrators set a virtual boundary around places like offices or warehouses. They can then apply specific rules to devices as they come in or go out of this boundary. This simplifies device management and ensures security measures are in place.
Admins can configure jobs to be deployed on the devices when the user enters or exits this geographical fence.
The purpose of the article is to provide a guide on how to create a geo-fence job and push it to the enrolled device(s) remotely.
- Geo Fence requires GPS capability on the device.
- This feature will only function if the location permission is enabled on the device.
- For now the GeoFence job is available for Android, iOS and Windows platforms.
1. Login to the SureMDM Console.
2. On SureMDM Home, navigate to Jobs and click on New Job.
3. On the Select Operating System screen, click Android or iOS.
4. On the Select Job Type screen, select Geo Fence.
5. On the Geo Fence prompt, select Enable Geo Fencing.
6. On the Select Fence tab, use Search option to go to a specific address
6. Click the Draw icon (located on the right of the map), place the cursor at the center of the location, and click and move the cursor until it covers the desired area. Click again to set the boundary. Once the location is marked, a prompt appears with Radius, Lat and Lng details.
7. Name the Geo Fence and click Save.
8. The newly created fence will show up under Fence Details.
- Entering the Fence: Select Fence Entered tab, click Add to select the job(s) that will be activated on the device when it enters the fenced area and also specify if an alert has to be sent to the Device, MDM, or Email.
NOTE: In the Select Jobs to Add screen, select the multiple jobs from the list using Ctrl key.
- Exiting the Fence: Select the Fence Exited tab, click Add to select the job(s) that will be activated on the device when it exits the fenced area at the specified end time, and also specify if an alert has to be sent to the Device, MDM, or Email.
9. In the Job Details window, enter a Job Name.
The newly created job will be listed in the Jobs List section.
10.. Go back to the Home tab and select the Android/iOS device(s) or group(s) and click Apply to launch the Apply Job/Profile To Device prompt.
11. In the Apply Job/Profile To Device prompt, select the job and click Apply.
The admins can select from the following options to receive an alert when the device enters the periodic fence:
- Device: Alerts go directly to the device user’s mailbox, ensuring users receive specific notifications, keeping them informed and engaged with operational changes.
- MDM: Alternatively, you can designate the SureMDM admin as the recipient of alerts. This ensures that notifications are directed to the centralized Inbox section within SureMDM
- Email: You can choose an external email recipient for additional communication outside of the SureMDM platform. Alerts will be sent to the configured email addresses.
SureMDM’s geofencing simplifies how businesses manage devices, promoting efficiency and security. Especially beneficial for those with specific location needs, this feature ensures tasks activate seamlessly as devices enter or exit defined areas. It enhances precision and control, making mobile device management more effective across various scenarios.
Need help? CONTACT US