With the Nexus 6P, Huawei P9, and Honor 5X handsets boosting Huawei’s global profile in recent months, we thought it would be worth taking a look at how you would go about installing and setting a third-party launcher such as SureLock as the default launcher application of a Huawei device.
On Huawei and Honor handsets, it isn’t quite so simple, because once you’ve installed a third-party launcher and press home, you’re taken back to the stock EMUI home screen. And while you can open the third-party launcher, the next time you press the Home button, you’ll be taken straight back to Huawei’s Emotion UI once more. There is a way, though.
Please follow the below steps:
- Go to the Play Store to download and install your favorite third-party launcher on your device.
- Press Home, and then go to System Settings of the device and navigate to Apps.
- Click on the Advanced tab at the bottom of the page and choose Default App Settings (or just Default Apps if you are running EMUI 8)
- Click on Launcher, and then select the application you would like to set as the default launcher on the device.
- Confirm the application again to be set as default launcher in the Select the Launcher prompt.
- Press Home and you will land on the chosen launcher’s home screen.