Apple Push Notification Service, or APNs, is a platform service from Apple that enables third-party apps to send push notifications to iOS devices. SureMDM requires you to obtain and register an APNs certificate to start monitoring and managing Apple devices. It’s important to set up an APNs certificate for enabling Apple device management before enrolling any iOS or macOS devices. This enables secure communication with and easy management of iOS and/or macOS devices through the SureMDM server.
Steps to obtain and register the APNs certificate in SureMDM
1. Log in to SureMDM Web Console.
2. Click the Settings icon and go to Account Settings.
3. On the Account Settings screen, select the iOS/macOS Settings tab and click APNS.
4. Under Push Certificate, click the Download CSR button to download a vendor-signed CSR (Certificate Signing Request) for generating the push certificate from the Apple Push Certificate Portal.
5. Now, go to the Apple Push Certificate Portal and login with your Apple ID.
6. On the Certificates for Third-Party Servers page, click the Create a Certificate button.
7. On the Create a New Push Certificate page, upload the Certificate Signing Request (CSR) that you downloaded from the SureMDM Web Console. (Refer to step no. 4)
8. Once the CSR is successfully uploaded, a download button to download the newly created push certificate will be available. Click Download to download the push certificate.
9. Go back to the Push Certificate screen on the SureMDM Web Console and upload the push certificate.
10. Once the upload is successful, the registration process is complete.
Steps to renew existing APNS Certificate
1. On the SureMDM Web Console, navigate to Settings (icon located at top right of the screen) > Account Settings > iOS/macOS Settings > APNS.
2. On the Push Certificate page,click Download.
This will download the vendor- signed CSR (Certificate Signing Request).
3. Go to Apple Push Certificate Portal and login with your Apple ID
4. On the Certificates for Third-Party Servers page, click Renew.
5. On the Renew Push Certificate page, upload the Certificate Signing Request (CSR) downloaded from SureMDM Web Console. (Refer to step no. 2)
6. On the confirmation page, click Download.
A new push certificate will download.
7. Go back to SureMDM Web Console > Account Settings > iOS/macOS Settings > APNS.
8. On the Push Certificate screen, upload the newly created push certificate. (Refer to step no. 6)
Once the upload is successful, the APNS certificate renewal is complete.