42Gears Things Management Framework allows IT admins to remotely monitor and manage connected devices – “Things” through SureMDM. These “Things” are devices which perform very specific functions with limited connectivity with the host machine over USB, Bluetooth, and WiFi such as card readers, smart bulbs, Bluetooth headsets, etc. This framework makes these “Things” smarter by introducing “smart” logic at the host machine level, which performs the role of a proxy for these endpoints enabling administrators to remotely monitor and manage them from the SureMDM console.
Steps to enable and start using the Things Management feature in SureMDM
1. Log in to the SureMDM Web Console.
2. On SureMDM Home, click Settings > Account Settings.
3. On the Account Settings page, go to the Miscellaneous Settings tab and click Enable under the Things Management section.
4. Once you click the Enable button, a Things Management folder will be created in the Jobs section with the following Jobs:
- Install Connector for Datalogic Connector
- Install Connector for Network Printer Connectors
- Install Connector for Zebra Printer Connector
5. Go to Jobs to view the Things Management folder.
6. To apply, these Jobs, install the SureMDM Nix agent for Things on the device and enroll it to SureMDM web console.
7. Once done, select a host machine, and click Apply.
8. On the Apply Job/Profile To Device prompt, select the Things Management folder. Then, select the desired job(s) and click Apply.
Once done, the following things will happen:
- desired connector(s) will be installed on the device
- the newly enrolled thing will start reflecting under the device grid.
Now, you can use the options available on the SureMDM Web Console to control the properties of the thing.
To download the latest version of SureMDM Nix Agent for Things, click here.
Read more about Things Management here.