Apple Business Manager (ABM) is a consolidation of Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP) and Apple Volume Purchase Program (VPP) portals with a few more useful capabilities. It allows businesses to manage DEP, VPP, Apple IDs and content from a central management point. ABM is an intuitive and easy-to-navigate portal with a bundle of new features.
ABM is not a replacement for a UEM solution. All the device deployment and configuration done using 42Gears UEM will continue to be deployed using the same admin servers. ABM enhances the customer experience by consolidating the management features of DEP and VPP portals under one roof. To manage device assignment, apps, purchases, or content, organizations will no longer need to use the DEP and VPP portals after upgrading to ABM.
Following steps are involved in enrolling Apple devices into SureMDM using ABM:
Create Apple DEP account
Organizations that do not have Apple DEP account will have to create one on Apple’s website. In order to create an account, Apple will ask to verify the identity and legal entity status through D-U-N-S number, which is a unique nine-digit number that identifies each organization on the basis of its location. Obtaining the D-U-N-S number is crucial in order to create an account for DEP enrollment.
Link DEP with SureMDM
In order to perform MDM functions on enrolled iPads, iPhones and Mac OS, the DEP account has to be linked with SureMDM. For linking, a certificate is required which ensures a secure and trusted relationship between DEP and SureMDM. Following are the steps to get successful DEP linking:1. Login to https://business.apple.com/
2. Go to Settings > Device Management Settings > Add MDM Server.
3. Name the server 42Gears SureMDM.
4. Under MDM Server Settings, Click on Choose file. Upload the .pem certificate which downloaded from SureMDM server. The .pem certificate should be downloaded from SureMDM Web Console > Account Settings > DEP tab and select Save.
5. Download The server token and upload it at the same place (SureMDM Web Console > Account Settings > DEP tab)
Assignin listed devices to MDM
After linking Apple DEP with SureMDM, the next step is to assign the devices listed on DEP account to SureMDM server. For Device assignment, login to Apple DEP portal and then assign required devices to SureMDM server.
DEP Profile and Server Creation
1. Navigate to SureMDM Settings > Account Settings > IOS/macOS Settings > DEP > DEP Profiles > Add
2. Name the required configuration and click Save.
3. Navigate to DEP Server Tab and configure the server as required with required profile.
4. Select the DEP created Server and click on Push the Configuration and complete the process by clicking on Push button.
Configure SureMDM Agent installation Without Apple ID through VPP
1. Go to Apps and Books and purchase SureMDM Agent by searching in the search box.
2. Select the Assign to and mention the number of licenses required based on the device count.
3. Click Get.
4. Navigate to Settings and click on Apps and Books and under Server Token click Download.
5. Navigate to SureMDM Settings > Account Settings > IOS/macOS Settings > VPP > Upload Token.
6. Upload the token that was downloaded from VPP portal and click Refresh.
Initialize the Device set up
After assigning the devices to SureMDM, initialize the setup process of devices by following the below mentioned steps:
1. Turn on the devices and follow the on-screen options.
2. Connect the device to WiFi and the DEP enrollment process will be initiated.
3. The setup process will show a screen confirming that device will be managed by SureMDM.
4. Once the setup is completed, the device will appear on SureMDM Web Console under Devices.
To register and try SureMDM for a free, click here.