As Google has deprecated the Device Admin(Legacy) mode of enrollment, it is necessary for IT admins to migrate the devices to Android Enterprise enrollment to manage the devices flawlessly through the SureMDM console. This article is intended to provide information on how to move from a Legacy Device Administrator Android deployment to Android Enterprise.
Because Device Admin isn’t well suited to support today’s enterprise requirements, we recommend customers and partners adopt fully managed device and work profile modes to manage their devices from now on.
Steps to specify enrollment settings and generate a QR code
1. Log in to SureMDM Web Console.
2. Enroll your SureMDM console to Android Enterprise if not done already using the steps mentioned under Section 1 of this blog.
3. Navigate to Enrollment > QR Code Enrollment > List view.
4. Click on Create QR Code
5. On the Setup QR Code for Enrollment prompt,
a. Under Enrollment Type option:
- Give a name for the QR code.
- Select the Android platform.
- Select enrollment type as Android Enterprise Enrollment.
- Specify the expiry date and time if you wish to set an expiration for the QR code or the value can be left blank
- Specify the maximum number of devices if you wish to limit the enrollment using this QR code and click Next
b. Under Configure Options, enter or select the required details:
- WiFi Credentials (optional)
- Group to which device needs to be enrolled
- Device Naming Parameter (IMEI/MAC Address/Serial Number/PhoneNumber/Device Name)
- Encryption option
- Nix Permission checklist
c. Then, click on Save.
The newly created QR code will be listed under the QR Code Enrollment section under the Enrollment tab of your SureMDM console.
6. Now, factory reset the device and power it back on. Navigate to the Welcome Screen.
8. Agree to the terms and conditions.
9. Click on the Download option and the device will install SureMDM Agent with the specified settings and will get enrolled as a Device Owner in SureMDM Web Console.
Android Enterprise also offers BYOD features to improve Android device usability, security, and flexibility in the business environment. You can explore SureMDM offerings for BYOD here.